By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
In Uttana Padasana, the practitioner raises both the legs from the supine position and hence the name. It is an intense stretch of the legs.
Uttana – Raised, upwards
Pada – Leg / foot
Asana – Pose
Other name – Extended Foot Pose
Read – Health Benefits Of Yoga: Mind And Body
Preparation for Uttana Padasana
Method of doing Uttana Padasana
- Lie on the floor, facing the ceiling.
- Keep legs stretched, feet close to each other, tightly at the arches, toes facing upwards towards the ceiling.
- Keep upper limbs by the side of your body, close to it, palms down.
- Lift both legs in air as you inhale. While doing this keep the torso on the floor. Allow the lower back to arch slightly.
- Tuck your chin towards neck. Squeeze the thighs together and tuck your stomach in. Reach out with your toes such that the toes point the ceiling.
- The legs are…